This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
St Thomas, ON
||Oct 03, 2022
- Position: Catechist
Location: Elgin Roman Catholic Family of Parishes
Commitment: 28 hours per week – 1 year contract
Posting: 2 October 2022
Closing: 2 November 2022
The Elgin Roman Catholic Family of Parishes is seeking a FTE Catechist for a 1 year (renewable) contract. The successful candidate must possess the knowledge, skills and ability to develop and support the catechetical, sacramental, and community life of our Family of Parishes. The Catechist will report to the Pastor, provide updates on a bi-weekly basis and work collaboratively with the Pastoral Team and volunteers in the Family of Parishes. It is expected that the successful candidate will participate actively in team meetings by sharing their activities, vision and input on activities which affect the life of the Family of Parishes and the ministry of those around them.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primarily the role of the Catechist is to plan and facilitate age-appropriate Sacramental preparation programming for: First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion, Confirmation and the A.C.C. (R.C.I.A.).
- Recruit and empower volunteers to support ministry initiatives and sacramental preparation and celebrations in the Family of Parishes.
- To support the parish optic of “Encounter, Disciple, Empower and Mission” through programs such as Alpha, CCO Fatih Studies, Christlife, Bible Studies, etc.
- Other assignments, duties and projects within the scope of these Sacraments to support the mission of the Family of Parishes.
- A strong Catholic faith which is actively lived out and practiced regularly.
- A Degree in Theology or Catechesis or a Certificate in Pastoral Ministry or completion of a program deemed equivalent by the Diocese of London or a willingness to obtain an aforementioned qualification.
- An understanding that this role is one of responsible ministry, the scheduling and fulfillment of working hours are managed by the employee and that some periods of the year will demand both more and less time from the Catechist. Overall accountability in this area is to the Pastor.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with social media platforms for coordinating outreach.
- Ability to remain professional and maintain confidentiality.
- Attendance at staff meetings.
- Possess an understanding of the new evangelization, relational ministry, and intentional accompaniment/discipling.
- Travel across the Family with reliable transportation.
- Previous experience in parish ministry is an asset.
- The Catechist is directly accountable to the Pastor in the exercise of their ministry and to the Diocese of London in accordance with its established norms, policies and guidelines.
- If successful, the FOP Catechist will undergo a 6-month probationary period, which will be followed by an evaluation in accordance with the Diocese of London Personnel Policy Manual. In addition to this, the successful applicant must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Check and agree to psychological testing with regard to suitability for ministry as required by the Diocese of London.
Interested parties are asked to submit a resume and three references by November 2, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Catechist Application” or by mail to:
- Salary in accordance with the Diocese of London Personnel Policy for Lay Ecclesial Ministers.
- Reimbursement for parish related expenses as approved by the business manager including mileage where applicable.
- Office space, supplies, and secretarial support.
- Funding for ministry programming, volunteer training support and resources as required and available.
Personal and Confidential
c/o: St. Anne’s Parish
20 Morrison Drive
St. Thomas, ON N5R 4S6
Applicants are also asked to be prepared to obtain a letter of recommendation from their pastor should they be selected for an interview. We thank all who apply to this position for their interest, only hose selected for an interview will be contacted.