Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The University Advancement division plays a leading role in strengthening awareness of and support for the University’s mission and goals by leading alumni relations and fundraising efforts across campus and beyond. All departments within the Division build enduring alumni and public trust through understanding and support for Western University in a coordinated campus-wide effort that results in the engagement and funding needed to make an impact. There are 3 departments within the Division – Departments of Development, Alumni Relations and Advancement Operations.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Alumni Relations, the Administrative Officer is responsible for providing overall administrative and executive support in carrying out all Alumni Relations activities under the AVP’s area of responsibility. The role will provide guidance and support for a range of administrative, human resources, financial functions and processes, and ensure they are carried out in accordance with all of Western’s relevant administrative policies and procedures. The Administrative Officer will also assist in the resolution of administrative issues, provide project coordination, and ensure the availability of necessary documentation, resources and information to support the Associate Vice-President’s activities. The role will work closely with leaders and colleagues across the University, and within University Advancement and Alumni Relations to support the achievement of the department’s objectives.
- Undergraduate Degree
- 5 years’ administrative experience successfully supporting a senior executive
- Experience administering human resources in a complex office environment
- Experience managing information in a complex database
- Experience in a fundraising environment preferred
- Experience with volunteer boards would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for handling sensitive and confidential information and with best practices in records maintenance
- Familiarity with event management techniques and tools and with project management methodologies
- Communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, write clearly, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Client service skills with an ability to apply tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive issues and a range of personalities, motives and interests
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Computer skills with the ability to train others in system usage with intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Organizational skills to manage multiple assignments that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities
- Problem solving skills with a sense of urgency in resolving issues and getting tasks completed
- Ability to encourage cooperation and build rapport among fellow team members
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #28684 by 11:59PM on December 12, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.