The Town of Tillsonburg is looking for an enthusiastic Building Inspector II who will be primarily responsible for processing building permit applications, performing inspections, reviewing drawings and construction conformance related to buildings regulated by Part 9, Division B of the OBC (small buildings).
Building Inspector II will be reporting to the Chief Building Official under the supervison of the Deputy Chief Building Official.
This is a permanent full-time position with an excellent benefits package including immediate group benefits coverage, OMERS defined pension plan and free Employee Health Club Membership at the Tillsonburg Community Center.
Weekly hours: 40
Work week: Monday to Friday
The hourly rate: $37.33- $43.67
- Serve as municipality's Provincial Offences Officer for enforcement purposes regarding municipal by-laws, policies and codes;
- Review applications and plans for small buildings under Part 9 of the OBC with regards to completeness of the submission;
- Advise applicants and CBO/DCBO of incomplete submissions and application issues/items requested;
- Examine plans and process applications for all buildings to ensure compliance with the OBC and relevant Municipal By-laws for the purpose of permit issuance;
- Assists with permit intake, application data entry and ensure that all applications are recorded, tracked and forwarded to the CBO/DCBO, as required;
- Perform building, plumbing and HVAC inspections of all buildings;
- Manage inactive open permits and deposits;
- Provide customer service in person, by telephone and e-mail;
- Strong documentation/communication skills both written and verbal;
- Ability to handle stressful situations on a regular basis;
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office programs including: Word, Excel and Outlook; Amanda and Cloudpermit experience considered an asset;
- Must adhere to the prescribed Code of Conduct for Inspectors
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Architectural, Construction or Engineering Technology or Certificate of Qualification, or an equivalent;
- 3 Years experience with: Building Code field inspections, plans examinations and related enforcement; Interpretation and enforcement of the Ontario Building Code; Interpretation of municipal by-laws and related municipal policy.
- Qualified with MMAH in the areas of General or CBO Legal, Large/Complex Buildings, House/Small Buildings, Plumbing-All Buildings, HVAC House Detection Lighting & Power, Building Structural, Building Services.
- A CBCO designation granted by the OBOA, CET designation as granted by OACETT or a MAATO as granted by AATO is considered to be an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Ontario Building Code Act and Regulations regarding residential construction as well as a basic knowledge of mechanical, electrical and structural engineering design principles as related to building construction;
- Excellent knowledge of building construction methods;
- The ability to read and comprehend detailed construction drawings and site plans;
- Well-developed communication skills and excellent customer service skills with the ability to liaison with key external and internal stakeholders;
- Strong problem solving and decision making skills and the ability to function effectively with minimal supervision;
- Ability to meet the physical requirements (i.e. field inspections) of the position;
- A demonstrated commitment to enhancing a safety culture;
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office programs including: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Valid Ontario Class “G” driver’s licence.
About the recruitment process
Interested candidates please apply at Town of Tillsonburg - Career Page (applytojob.com)
All new Town of Tillsonburg employees are required to complete a police record check at their own expense.
The Town will accommodate any individual needs you have throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Please contact us if you require any accommodations.
The Town of Tillsonburg is an equal opportunity employer and all information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of job selection.
We thank all those who apply for positions, but only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.