Manager of Engineering
The Town of Tillsonburg is looking for an enthusiastic Manager of Engineering who will be responsible for Engineering and Asset Management, including program planning, capital budgets and forecasting, road reconstruction, surveys, drafting and G.I.S records management for municipal public works infrastructure.
This is a permanent full-time position with an excellent benefits package including immediate group benefits coverage, OMERS defined pension plan and free Employee Health Club Membership at the Tillsonburg Community Center.
Weekly hours: 40
The hourly rate: $54.20 - $63.42 *currently under marketing review*
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply prior to the end of the business day on Monday February 26, 2024
- Maintain and update drawings and maps of the existing water, sanitary and storm systems, and other municipal infrastructure.
- Oversees and completes the submission to MOE for certificate of approval for water main, sanitary, and storm systems for capital municipal road construction projects.
- Offers and supplies technical opinions and expertise to other Town departments.
- Liaises with other departmental staff, consultants, contractors, developers, utilities and the public.
- Design maintenance and construction of roads, sidewalks, and drainage.
- Reviews final lot grading plans to assure compliance with original designs prior to issuing release of security.
- Supervise design and construction of roads, sidewalks, water, sanitary and storm systems
- Prepares technical and contract document and specifications for the tender documents and responds to contractor's inquiries during tendering process and issues written addenda for clarification.
- Reviews and updates engineering design criteria to ensure it remains current with the latest construction and engineering standards.
- Prepares long range capital replacement plans for infrastructure.
- Manages and controls operational activities within budgetary guidelines.
- Develops working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Reviews labour time keeping records weekly.
- Enforces safe work practices and disciplinary procedures for all employees assigned.
- Serves as chair of hiring committee for all staff in department including contract staff assigned.
- Provides direction and supervision to external project contractors.
- Provide leadership, direction, coaching, and monitoring to support staff consisting of technical and administration issues.
- Plans, organizes, schedules and coordinates work of staff.
- Responsible for performance metrics within the department, ensuring that annual performance reviews are completed for all employees.
- Investigates and responds to calls, requests and complaints from the public.
- Provides detailed cost estimates for annual municipal works projects for capital budget purposes and reviews.
- Codes project costs for payment.
- Completes monthly payment certificates for capital projects for acceptance by the contractor and approval by project engineer.
- Prepares and implements annual Engineering business plan and budgets including capital replacement plan for Town infrastructure.
- Provides accurate data and asset management information needed for audits and PSAB.
- Carries out all duties and responsibilities using due diligence and complying with Ontario Health and Safety Act and regulations.
- Annually reviews all procedures for programs and facilities of the department to meet applicable regulations.
- Provides input to department annual business plans and budgets.
- Overtime may be required.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures for the Town.
- Work completed both in office setting, as well as outside in the field.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines.
- All other duties as assigned.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering or related field.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).
- Three (3) years of management and work related experience.
- Registered member of Ontario Society of Engineering.
- Good leadership skills.
- First Aid/CPR training
- Computer literate in AutoCad, MS Office, Windows, Internet, etc.
- Ability to direct and supervise employees and subcontracted workers.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and guidelines.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good communication skills
- Good technical writing skills.
- Street Lighting Design experience.
- Transportation Impact Study experience.
- Health and Safety training.
About the recruitment process
Please apply at Town of Tillsonburg - Career Page (applytojob.com)
All new Town of Tillsonburg employees are required to complete a police record check at their own expense.
The Town will accommodate any individual needs you have throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
. Please contact us if you require any accommodations.
The Town of Tillsonburg is an equal opportunity employer and all information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of job selection.
We thank all those who apply for positions, but only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.