Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
The mission of the Office of Faculty Relations (OFR) is to maximize the University’s ability to achieve excellence in teaching, research and service by providing quality advice and support on employment matters in a manner that facilitates positive relationships with and among faculty, librarians, archivists, their representatives, university administrators, and the community.
The Communications Coordinator will play a key role in implementing and supporting communications efforts within the Office of Faculty Relations. The role will plan, create and maintain a website for the Office, develop and implement communication plans, and support the dissemination of information to various stakeholders through engaging digital and print resources and materials. The role will design, create, and assess communications efforts within the Office, with a goal of enhancing user experience and increasing awareness of the Office’s functions and relevant policies and processes. The role will support the development and maintenance of communication processes and practices and provide professional advice and guidance regarding communication plans and related projects that is consistent with all relevant University guidelines.
- Undergraduate Degree with a Major in Communications, Arts, English/Literature, Media Relations or related program
- International Association of Business Communicators Designation completed or in progress preferred
- 3 years' experience in strategic communications and website design
- Experience in a post-secondary environment preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of e-communication tools, including website and graphic design principles
- Knowledge of communications best practices, processes, trends, and tools
- In-depth knowledge of principles of writing, including grammar and style, coherence, attention to detail and proofreading abilities
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Media skills with solid communications judgment to present and package information to maximize interest
- Compelling and persuasive communication skills to engage individuals and teams
- Ability to analyze metrics and consider past communications to craft engaging written communications
- Innovative and flexible critical thinking skills to adjust to and implement new processes or technology to the University’s advantage
- Discretion, tact and maturity to deal with public relations issues related to higher education
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use relevant software that achieves required outcomes and is in line with best practices, Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Project management skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines and perform well under pressure
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #32653 by midnight on October 15th 2023
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.