Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central resource committed to support the teaching and research missions of the University by providing high-quality and cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s faculties and support units, to leverage central supported technology solutions and services where it makes sense.
The Network Operations Team’s primary responsibility is ensuring resilient and consistent access to the Western data network which provides computer connectivity, Internet access, telecommunications, and wireless services to campus. Members of this team are responsible for the design, installation, and maintenance of the network equipment supporting these communication infrastructures. These activities include; capacity planning, the creation and review of network disaster recovery plans, proactively monitoring
network statistics to determine performance and stability baselines, and responding to issues that adversely affect the stability of these services
The Western data network supports many mission critical services including email, web services, our learning management system, voice services and other enterprise applications. Central services also provide web, server, database, and storage hosting for the Western community.
The Network Analyst is responsible for the deployment, installation, maintenance and configurations of routers, switches, services and other equipment related to the campus data network and data centres. The role will assist in the definition of technology strategies for the infrastructure and applications required to support the team goals.
- College Diploma in an information technology field or a University Degree with at least a minor in Computer Science
- University Degree majoring in Computer Science or an Information Technology field preferred
- Certification related to Advanced Network Design Curriculum preferred
- Course work in programming is an asset
- 5 years’ experience working with networking technology, including switches, routers and network monitoring/analysis tools
- Experience in electronics, system programming and communications technologies is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in networking protocols and related communications technologies
- Project leadership capability for small to medium network projects
- Ability to share expertise with other Network Analysts to enhance team outcomes.
- Some proficiency in the area of network design and architecture
- Familiarity with various operating system environments and with use of scripting languages
- Demonstrated communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users and to keep documentation/user manuals up to date
- Demonstrated ability to research/investigate issues and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including managing multiple competing priorities and an ability to adapt quickly to emerging priorities and frequent interruptions
- Ability to explain the immediate context of the situation, asking questions with follow-up, and soliciting advice prior to taking action when warranted.
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for process improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
- Strong customer service skills to handle inquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Attention to detail when executing routine tasks
- Takes initiative to ensure that outcomes meet internal and external customer requirements
- Ability to carry out work off hours as required independently with appropriate guidance and training
- Proven ability to interact with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #27889 by midnight on 2022/09/09.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.