|May 24, 2023
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: Level N
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference .
The Department of French Studies aims to provide the best student experience in the fields of French language, literature and linguistics among North America’s leading research-intensive universities. We continue to believe that strong research, is and will be our best asset.
The Program Assistant coordinates the effective and efficient administration of the undergraduate and graduate programs within the Department of French Studies, under the direction of the Administrative Officer and Program Chairs. The role will provide a first point of contact, by telephone, email and in-person, for inquiries from faculty members, students, prospective students, and the public and will provide information on matters related to the undergraduate and graduate programs from the time of inquiry through application, admission, orientation, program requirements, eligibility and progression, course selection, examination and post-graduation, as well as advice and guidance regarding University, School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) and Departmental policies and procedures. The role will also assist with allocating, processing and tracking graduate student funding, creating and maintaining student records, producing exam schedules, coordinating scholarship and award processes, maintaining and updating program websites and social media accounts, and assisting with the coordination of orientation, intent to register, add/drop, adjudication and recruitment events as required.
- 3 year community college diploma in Business Management/Administration
- More than 2 years and up to and including 4 years providing financial and administrative support; preferably in an academic setting
- Experience administering undergraduate and/or graduate programs in an academic setting is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High level of fluency in French (oral and written communication) is required
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and to adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, to work independently and to follow through on work assignments
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve external and internal partner issues
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Ability to process information with a high degree of accuracy, and follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, faculty members, students and the public
- Ability to make appropriate decisions and resolve issues by identifying the critical elements of a problem situation and considering each aspect
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills to complete accurate calculations
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Intermediate proficiency required in Microsoft Office in order to prepare emails, announcements, and to input data into spreadsheets and databases
- Familiarity with software applications used by Western preferred – e.g. OWL, Cascade, PeopleSoft
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca/ for further information and to apply online referencing job #29056 by 11:59PM on Augist 1st, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.