Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Division of Housing and Ancillary Services (HAS) is committed to providing a first-class experience in the areas of housing, hospitality services, and retail services for undergraduate/graduate students and their families, staff and faculties at the Western communities, while supporting the academic mission of the University and ensuring profitability and cost effectiveness of the operation.
The Payroll Coordinator is responsible for carrying out a broad range of monthly and weekly payroll functions for Housing & Ancillary Services (1500 staff members). The Payroll Coordinator will act as a resource and provides a high level of customer service to both internal and external customers, applying their knowledge of payroll related legislation, Western policies and established processes and procedures to ensure employees are paid in an accurate, compliant and timely manner. The Payroll Coordinator will support the division with various financial and administrative tasks with a focus on developing process improvements to create workflow efficiencies.
- Undergraduate degree in related field – preferably Business Administration, Accounting or Human Resources
- Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certificate from the Canadian Payroll Association, or willingness to complete within 18 months of commencement in the role
- 2-3 years of experience working in payroll or financial administration
- Previous experience in a payroll or financial administration role within a unionized environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of general office procedures
- Familiarity with payroll and human resources principles, practices and legislation
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- High degree of professionalism with outstanding ability to work effectively and efficiently
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines
- Ability to apply critical thinking to evaluate information and make appropriate decisions or recommendations
- Creative problem-solving skills and sound professional judgment, especially regarding confidential/sensitive matters
- Ability to employ a systematic and efficient approach to work
- Strong customer service skills to handle enquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of the team to achieve departmental goals
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Knowledge of Western collective agreements and employment policies preferred
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #33781 by midnight on February 13th 2024
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.