Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of
academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities
for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has
become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the
development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central source committed to providing highquality,
cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching
and research missions of the University. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s
faculties and support units to leverage central supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
The Infrastructure Services division of WTS is responsible for providing Western faculty, staff, and students
with the best possible hardware and software support infrastructure to enable the use of technology in
teaching, learning and administration.
The System Administrator is a key member of a skilled team responsible for deploying and supporting the
infrastructure used to support technology across campus. The role will build and manage hardware
infrastructure, virtualization software, multiple database platforms and storage hardware. The team is
responsible for the research, planning, designing, modifying, integrating and evaluating servers, databases,
storage, and associated enterprise applications which form part of Western’s central technology infrastructure.
For additional detail on specific technologies currently used at WTS, please see the Western WTS Technology
Environment document. (https://wts.uwo.ca/services/WITE.pdf) WTS systems support many mission critical
services including email, web services, our learning management system, voice services and other enterprise
applications. Central services also provide web, server, database, and storage hosting for the Western
- College Diploma in an information technology field or a university degree with at least a minor in Computer
- University Degree majoring in Computer Science or an Information Technology field is preferred
- 5 years of experience supporting enterprise level servers, storage, databases and virtualization platforms
- Experience with, and advanced understanding of, network concepts, systems security and administrative
procedures in a large production environment
- Experience managing database platforms (Oracle, MicroSoft SQL, MySql)
- Experience Managing virtualization environments (VMware, Solaris Zones, containers, etc.)
- Storage infrastructure management experience (NetApp, NexSan, FC Switches)
- Experience supporting physical hardware (UCS, Dell, Oracle)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency in setup and management of Database platforms
- Ability to provide technical guidance regarding infrastructure design, deployment and support for WTS
- Demonstrated proficiency with implementation and management of server virtualization technologies –
VMware and HyperV
- Familiar with managing and supporting physical hardware (Servers and Storage)
- Demonstrated familiarity with Storage technologies and protocols (NFS, CIFS, iSCSI FC)
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with technical and nontechnical
- Ability to resolve problems and escalate issues with suggestions for further investigation and options for
consideration as required
- Initiative to seek and share relevant information, opinions, and judgments
- Demonstrated organizational skills including ability to manage multiple competing priorities working to tight
timelines with appropriate supervision
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with peers, contacts with access to information, and key
- Ability to carry out work off hours as required independently with appropriate guidance and training
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological development and adapt efficiently to emerging
priorities and changing work methods
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #29081 by 11:59PM on February 3, 2023.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity
and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible
minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any
gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you
require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at
firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.