Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 18
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central source committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching and research missions of the University. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s faculties and support units to leverage central supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
Infrastructure Services is one of two primary areas within WTS and is comprised of the following functional teams; Data Center & Network Operations, System & Server Administration, WTS Administration and Cabling Infrastructure (MAC).
The Associate Director is responsible for overseeing, mentoring and guiding a team of skilled technical staff responsible for administering and managing central systems that provide essential services to all Western staff, faculty and students. The role is responsible for all operational leadership functions including recruiting, assessing performance, setting individual and team goals, conflict management, effecting communication, and promoting team collaboration. The Associate Director facilitates opportunities for the team to grow and
improve their skills through continuous learning and knowledge sharing, while meeting with the Director on a regular basis to plan and coordinate team initiatives and efforts. The role will contribute to the development of strategy for the technology platforms for which the team is accountable. Finally, the role is responsible for response and resolution through critical technology outage events to restore essential services to campus.
- University (Bachelor’s) Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Project Management Professional or Canadian Institute of Management certification or equivalent
- 10 years of experience in Information Technology in both technical and managerial roles.
- 3 years of experience in a leadership role involving a diverse technical staff environment.
- 3 years of experience managing large scale technology deployment projects
- Previous work experience in an Academic (Higher Education) environment would be an asset
- Previous work experience in managing and leading infrastructure technology teams is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In depth knowledge of system administration, computer networks, operating systems, installation and maintenance of computer servers, desktops and applications software
- Proven ability to effectively manage all resources for project completion, to manage multiple projects, people and schedules within an academic context
- Ability to communicate effectively with WTS management and staff with respect to direction, progress and problem resolution, as well as, with other technology stakeholders in the Western University community on IT services, processes, initiatives and issues.
- Ability to establish effective routines for communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to convey information of a highly technical or complex nature to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to establish, build, and maintain strong working relationships with internal and external work groups and partners
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments, and to quickly research, evaluate and recommend the viability of technologies and innovations in application development
- Demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate toward consensus and resolution particularly in situations involving conflicting priorities and requirements
- Working knowledge of project management concepts and methodologies
- Excellent technical troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development, including the willingness to stay current with industry trends
- Exceptional organizational skills including managing multiple and competing priorities
- Ability to prepare and make effective presentations to small and large groups
- Ability to effectively lead meetings and discussions to concise and effective outcomes and action plans
- Strong customer oriented focus and desire to achieve value added results
- Ability to coach and mentor team members to achieve high-quality outcomes
- Understanding of human resources and staff management with an ability to build and unify a strong department team
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #27808 by midnight on 2022/08/26.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.