Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 40
Hourly Rate: $21.21
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract with an expected end date of March 31, 2023.
Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style
buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our
community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community
of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, engineering, construction, operation,
maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus
community. Our integrated team provides excellence in creating and maintaining Western’s facilities and in
serving the community. Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in facilities management among research
intensive universities worldwide.
The Groundsperson will perform labour intensive landscape maintenance work and assist Landscape
Operators, Landscape Technicians and Horticulturalists with work associated with the maintenance,
construction, repair, alteration and inspection of the campus landscape and facilities utilizing supplied vehicles,
handheld and walk behind power equipment and associated tools.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Valid Ontario G Driver’s License
- Current First Aid Certificate including CPR where required
- Experience working as a labourer in landscape construction and/or maintenance or related field in a large
commercial, industrial or institutional setting (preferred)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to landscape
services/waste management operations
- In-depth understanding of tools, equipment, principles, materials, and terminology associated with
landscape services/waste management operations
- Basic understanding of other positions within Facilities Management with which you interact
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current versions of all applicable legislation, regulations, codes and
- Ability to investigate, identify, analyze and document information in written or electronic form and resolve
problems, as well as organize and order work materials, tools, and support staff in the shop and on the job site
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the role, including to lift and transport materials, bend, excavate,
climb and reach repetitively, as well as to work in confined spaces or in areas containing designated
substances found within OH&S Act as required
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as autonomously with minimal supervision, and to
perform tasks in emergency situations
- Ability to interpret and work from electronic/written operation instruction sheets as well as mechanical
electrical and geographical drawings/maps and produce quick-sketch working diagrams
- Comprehensive electronic, oral and written communication skills with ability to listen fully and respond
courteously to instructions, questions and comments
- Dependable and co-operative disposition with ability to establish a rapport with customers, leaders and
peers, as well as to interact with others in positive ways which develop mutual understanding, respect and
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #28591 by 11:59PM on November 23, 2022
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first
consideration to qualified CUPE 2361 applicants.
Please note, successful applicants may be required to produce a current police information record
check(s) from a police service prior to commencing employment.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity
and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible
minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any
gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you
require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at
email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with
Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.