Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 16
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity covering a leave with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2024.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Financial Services provides financial leadership, services, information and stewardship in support of the academic, research and service activities of Western’s community.
Research Finance provides exemplary financial management to our research community.
In support of Western’s strategic research plan, the financial officer provides effective management and accounting support to faculties and researchers to enable them to fulfil their stewardship and accountability responsibilities with respect to research funding held in trust by the University. As a designated financial expert, the role is accountable for the financial management of research funds for several Faculties. This includes financial reporting and analysis, forecasting, expenditure monitoring, compliance oversight, cash flow management and audit facilitation. The funding is from external agencies, foundations, research institutes, donations and private sector companies. The scope of this position also includes complex projects that are cross-disciplinary and multi-institutional, and can involve foreign funding or activities based in foreign countries.
- University degree in business or a related field
- Professional accounting designation (e.g. CPA – CGA, CMA, CA)
- 5 years of financial accounting experience including financial report preparation is required
- Experience in a public sector and/or Not-For-Profit sector preferred
- Experience with Government reporting an asset
- Experience at a research-intensive institution would be an asset
- Previous experience working with PeopleSoft Financials would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated analytical ability with a sound knowledge of accounting principles
- Strong financial systems (e.g. PeopleSoft) knowledge, advanced MS Excel skills with basic knowledge of Word and PowerPoint
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relations and partnerships with clients, peers and external stakeholders
- Ability to multi-task and maintain an organized and effective personal work environment
- Judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and opportunities
- Ability to work well under pressure and apply good judgment in assessing difficult situations
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong client focus and a desire to achieve results is essential
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated ability to complete details analytics and reports
- Ability to process information with high levels of accuracy
- Ability to work in a fluid and challenging work environment with changing deadlines
- Strong presentation skills
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #31284 by 11:59PM on June 19, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.