Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 16
Please note, we will begin reviewing applications on May 29th and the posting will remain open until filled.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada's top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada's most beautiful campuses.
Western Research provides strategic and administrative support to foster a culture of research excellence that enhances Western University’s profile on the global stage. We support our scholars through collaboration, communication, and service. Western Research supports a broad definition of research, including discovery, innovation, creativity, and artistic works.
The Manager, Administration and Finance will oversee, direct, and assist with establishing the vision for a wide variety of administrative operations, human resources, internal communications and financial processes to ensure smooth and efficient administration within and for the Western Research portfolio. The role will participate in the development and implementation of strategic administrative plans, programs and policies to ensure successful alignment and progress. The Manager will monitor and implement administrative processes to identify opportunities for improvement, recommend the best use of existing resources to leaders and ensure adherence with University policies and procedures and relevant legislation. The role will lead and direct the work of other administrative staff, and ensure appropriate controls are in place to manage risks. The role will provide comprehensive consultation and expert guidance to the senior leadership team on a variety of topics to identify key business risks and opportunities. The Manager will ensure continuity of administrative operations, recruit, coach and train staff, and provide guidance to various leaders in the Western Research portfolio to ensure the University community is served effectively.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Management/Administration with courses taken in accounting and human resources or equivalent experience
- Completion of, or working towards, Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) and/or Canadian Institute of Management (CIM) and/or Certified Human Resources Professional Designation(s)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) preferred
- 7 years of progressive administrative, human resources, and financial experience in a complex office environment
- 3 years of experience managing budgeting and accounting functions, staff and projects
- Experience in strategic planning, implementation and operationalization
- Experience in a unionized or public sector environment preferred
- Experience in a post-secondary or research organization would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of financial budgeting and principles, Human Resources principles and practices, Employment Standards Act and other relevant legislation
- Familiarity with the research environment of Canada, specifically research enterprise of Universities in Ontario
- Knowledge of general office procedures, best practices for assessing, developing and implementing new business processes and procedures
- Project management skills to champion a project from conception to completion, and to ensure that team roles are clear, milestones are communicated and deadlines are met
- Knowledge of best practices in building a strong collaborative team and leading people
- Analytical skills in the areas of financial and business management to draft budget proposals, forecast expenses and monitor relevant accounts
- Ability to organize and effectively manage financial and human resources needed to achieve results
- Communication skills with the ability to converse with, write reports for, and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy including solid negotiation, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to promote individual growth by encouraging others to learn new skills and develop themselves
- Ability to quickly re-allocate resources and adjust priorities in response to unexpected events or changing circumstances
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and with PeopleSoft
- Advanced judgment, analytical and problem solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and opportunities
- Results-oriented with the ability to motivate and coach employees to meet high performance standards, while working effectively as a member of the leadership team
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to develop a shared vision to lead and coach employees to excellence
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #30979 by 11:59PM on July 11, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.