Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 17
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The University Advancement division plays a leading role in strengthening awareness of and support for the University’s mission and goals by leading alumni relations and fundraising efforts across campus and beyond. All departments within the Division build enduring alumni and public trust through understanding and support for Western University in a coordinated campus-wide effort that results in the engagement and funding needed to make an impact. There are 3 departments within the Division – Departments of Development, Alumni Relations and Advancement Operations.
The Director, Annual Giving will be responsible for providing strategic leadership and managing the implementation of all aspects of Western’s annual giving programs. Reporting to the Executive Director, Annual, Leadership and Legacy Giving, the Director, Annual Giving will have a mandate to build the base of annual supporters using sophisticated direct marketing techniques and analytics. This will include oversight of the direct mail program, digital campaigns and tribute giving, with responsibility for the growth in the number of donors, donor loyalty, donor reactivation, and dollars raised.
The Director will collaborate with Western’s Advancement Communications & Marketing team to implement data driven direct mail appeals, digital promotions, and email solicitations to contribute to the annual fund. The role will also collaborate with the Department of Advancement Operations to create queries and reports for targeted mail, social, digital and email communication to increase effectiveness of messaging, while leveraging the latest technology, and evaluating appeal responses based on donor segments to develop analysis and inform new tactics based on past giving trends, interactions, and program results.
- Undergraduate Degree; in Business Administration, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related discipline preferred
- Masters Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related discipline is preferred
- 7 years' progressive experience in fundraising, direct response writing and design in an annual giving or similar direct marketing environment
- Experience in digital engagement
- 3 years’ experience leading and managing staff and projects
- Experience working in the University sector is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of marketing trends and best practices
- In-depth knowledge of project management tools and resources
- In-depth knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques
- Ability to effectively lead a fundraising or revenue-generating campaign and achieve targets
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external boundaries to meet common objectives, improve outcomes and support work beyond one's own unit
- Oral and written communication skills with an emphasis on digital and mass appeals
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Critical thinking and analytical skills to assess complex higher education issues of concern to stakeholders, including the media, the public, and prospective donors
- A desire to grow and advance skills, which is demonstrated by attending conferences, workshops and other professional developmental opportunities to enhance performance
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize social media platforms relevant to intended audience; intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Leadership skills with an ability to delegate work and provide team members with clear direction and support in meeting objectives
- Ability to develop strategies that are in line with the University's mission and which balance competing priorities
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #27654 by 11:59PM on August 23, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.