Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Please note, this is a temporary full-time contract opportunity, covering a secondment, with an expected end date of September 30, 2023.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The vision and mission of the Department of Anesthesia & Perioperative Medicine is to be an internationally acclaimed academic department in anesthesia, perioperative medicine, pain management and critical care. We strive to provide exemplary patient care and foster excellence in anesthesia delivery, research and education at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and in continuing medical education at regional, national and international levels.
The Human Resources Assistant is responsible for carrying out a broad range of faculty human resources functions within the Department of Anesthesia & Perioperative Medicine, including providing support related to the faculty recruitment process and administrative processes and practices related to faculty appointments. The role will provide support for faculty promotion and tenure processes, arrange logistics for interviews, process appointments and contracts, and coordinate office and building management processes. The Human Resources Assistant will also provide advice, guidance and support to colleagues and faculty regarding Western’s processes and practices affecting academic personnel, and will assist with interpretation of Western’s faculty and staff collective agreements, as required, as well as serving as a resource and point of contact for faculty members, staff, committees and other stakeholders in regards to Departmental matters. The Human Resources Assistant will also coordinate logistics for faculty mentorship and learning events and committees; maintain databases (e.g. Acuity Star), websites, and social media accounts; and prepare and distribute communications materials and correspondence to internal and external stakeholders.
- 2 year Community College Diploma in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field
- Working towards CHRP certification preferred
- 3 years' experience providing human resources and administrative support in an academic environment
- Experience coordinating human resources processes in a unionized environment preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with Human Resources principles and practices
- Knowledge of principles for project management and process improvement
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate collective agreement language, University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Written communication skills with an ability to document technical information and process information with a high degree of accuracy, ensuring data integrity and attention to detail
- Ability to investigate defined issues, solicit input, and suggest remedies and alternative approaches that meet the needs of the situation
- Ability to establish rapport with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain a positive, outgoing attitude with genuine customer service orientation
- Demonstrated ability take initiative, to work independently and follow through on work assignments
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Proven ability to take initiative and implement assigned projects
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) to develop correspondence and communications materials, and to input data into spreadsheets and databases and with Content Management Systems (such as Cascade) to maintain websites
Western welcomes applications from all qualified individuals; however, it is the university's policy to give first consideration to all qualified UWOSA applicants.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #28201 by 11:59PM on December 6, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.